Saturday, February 25, 2006

What Inspires


Several posts back I mentioned that I derive inspiration from my daughters and all sorts of other things. More often than not a client inspires me. Take for example my recent session with Parker and his mom. His mom wanted non-traditional and she got it. I shot most of the session with an editorial/photojournalistic feeling. I did a mix of black and white, soft color and color images.

In terms of inspiration, I find myself drawn to the Impressionistic paintings of Marie Cassatt and I find myself drawn to Byzantine images of the Madonna and child (not that I'm particularly religious but the symbolism of Mary and Jesus is pretty amazing stuff once you become a mother). I find myself drawn to images that show motion or softness instead of crisp, clean textbook imagery. I like to create images that respond to some feeling within, sometimes that means taking the traditional portrait rules and breaking them. Truly, that is what I am all about.

No comments: